This recipe is homage to my little sister. No matter what restaurant she visits, she has to order the crab cakes. Of course, I wanted to create a healthier version for her minus the actual crab meat.
I used hearts of palms instead of crab meat and kelp to give it that seafood flavor. I pulsed the heart of palms until they had the consistency of crab meat. Make sure to not over pulse the heart of palms.
I was nervous for her to try them because I consider her to be a connoisseur of crab cakes. But she loved them! Now, she is constantly asking me to make her crab cakes. These crab cakes taste eerily like the real deal! Even my picky mother loved them.
- Two 14 oz. cans of Heart of Palms
- ½ cup of yellow onion
- ¼ cup of red bell pepper
- ¼ cup of green bell pepper
- ¼ cup of celery
- 2 tsp. of kelp
- 2 tsp. of old Bay
- 1 tsp. of Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. of Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bread Crumbs
- Almond milk
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- Drain heart of palms and add to a food processor. Pulse heart of palms 10 to 15 times until it looks like crab meat.
- Saute onions, bell peppers and celery over medium heat until tender.
- Add vegetables and heart of palms to a bowl and combine well.
- Form crab cakes into a patty. Dredge the crab cakes in flour, almond milk and then bread crumb.
- Place crab cakes in hot oil and fry for 2 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve and Enjoy!