This “cheezy” pasta is a classic southern comfort food. In New Orleans, it is a staple dish for every holiday meal, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. With Memorial Day tomorrow, this is the perfect side dish to make for your family BBQ. If I didn’t have to work tomorrow, I would definitely bake this for my family and friends. One of the perks working for a hospital.
This “cheezy” sauce is so creamy and delicious and tastes even better baked with gluten-free macaroni. It’s perfectly seasoned and kid approved. I guarantee you that people will be coming back for seconds. This filling meal is so easy-to-make and healthy!
As New Orleanians say, “first you make a roux” using all-purpose flour and olive oil. The roux is made to help thicken the “cheezy” sauce. Once the roux is made, you add the almond milk and bring to a boil. Then you bring the sauce to a simmer and add the nutritional yeast to create that “cheezy” flavor. You add all the remaining ingredients and combine well with the macaroni noodles.
I added Earth Balance butter to the macaroni noodles, which is a secret I got from my mother. You bake this “cheezy” goodness in the oven for 20 minutes.
If you try this recipe, let me know and #freshcreole!
- 15 oz. of macaroni noodles
- 2 ½ cups of almond milk
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 tbs. of Earth Balance butter
- 1 tbs. of garlic
- 2 tsp. of dried basil
- 1 tsp. of onion powder
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp. of salt
- ½ tsp. of pepper
- Follow instructions to cook macaroni noodles.
- After the noodles are al dente, drain and rinse. Then add earth balance butter to the noodles and mix well.
- On medium heat, add olive oil and all-purpose flour to a sauce pan and make a roux.
- Add almond milk to the sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and add nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, basil and salt and pepper.
- Combine well.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens for about 10 minutes.
- Add about 2 cups of the “cheezy” sauce to the noodles and combine well.
- Pour noodles into a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Pour the rest of the “cheezy” sauce on top of the noodles.
- Sprinkle Italian bread crumbs on top of the noodles.
- Place macaroni in the oven and bake for 20 minutes covered with foil at 350 degrees F.